Tips for Year-Round Window Safety
To protect children, the Window Safety Task Force offers the following tips:
- When young children are around, keep windows closed and locked.
- When opening a window for ventilation, use those located out of a child’s reach.
- Avoid placing furniture near windows to prevent young children from climbing and gaining access to an open window.
- Don’t allow children to jump on beds or other furniture to help reduce potential falls.
- Don’t rely on screens to prevent a window fall. They are designed to keep bugs out, not to keep children in the home.
- Supervise children to keep child’s play away from windows, balconies or patio doors.
- Install ASTM F2090 compliant devices designed to limit how far a window will open or window guards (with quick-release mechanisms in case of fire or other emergency) to help prevent a fall.
- Teach your child how to safely use a window to escape during an emergency, such as a fire.